News
‘I’ll prove him wrong’ – Bortoleto wants to make Marko ‘regret what he said’ after ‘B driver’ comment
Share
Kick Sauber rookie Gabriel Bortoleto has responded to comments made by Red Bull Motorsport Advisor Helmut Marko about his ability on the eve of the 2025 Formula 1 season, vowing to “prove him wrong” and make him “regret what he said”.
In a recent appearance on Servus TV, Marko shared his thoughts regarding this year’s new wave of drivers, putting Bortoleto in a “B” category despite the Brazilian youngster’s back-to-back championship successes in Formula 3 and Formula 2.
Asked for his reaction ahead of this weekend’s Australian Grand Prix, a cool and calm Bortoleto tackled the topic head on – while keen to avoid making “a big thing about it” and aiming to do the rest of his talking on the track.
“I think Helmut is a guy that is for a very long time in F1,” he commented. “He has put a lot of very talented drivers in F1 in the past, but he also put probably more drivers that failed to be in F1.
'I'm having a great time' - Bortoleto 'excited for first ever F1 race'
“I have – to be honest – respect for him, for the achievements with the drivers that he put [in F1]. Max Verstappen, for me, is one of the greatest of the sport.
“Everyone can have opinions. We live in a free world. I think he has his opinions about me. I think I proved myself to be in F1. I won F3 and F2 as a rookie.”
Bortoleto continued: “I’m going to prove him wrong with time. It’s just a matter of time. Nothing I can say to the media right now will change his mind, because he’s just talking and talking.
“The only thing I can do now is head to the track and prove that his argument was wrong. Hopefully, with time, he will admit, ‘OK, my opinion wasn’t right’, and he will regret what he said.
“But I’ve done this in the past as well. I’ve said things probably that I regret and I don’t agree [with] nowadays. It’s normal. I’m not going to make a big thing about it.”
2025 Rookie Roundtable with Kimi, Jack, Ollie, Isack and Gabriel
Bortoleto has risen to F1 as part of Fernando Alonso’s management stable, and the two-time World Champion was also asked for his take on Marko’s assessment during Thursday’s media activities.
“I think Helmut has to defend his drivers,” said the Spaniard, with Bortoleto beating Red Bull-backed Isack Hadjar – who is also preparing for his F1 debut – to last year’s F2 title. “I think the facts are a little bit stronger than Helmut’s words.
READ MORE: Kick Sauber confirm Wheatley’s start date as new Team Principal
“I think maybe it refers to last year’s F2 [championship] with Isack and Gabriel. They finished 1-2, they both have incredible talent, and they both are in F1, which is a great sign. Let’s see what the future brings.
“I hope for both to have a very long and successful career, but what Gabriel did, winning F3 and F2 in his rookie seasons… I think the future will tell, but I’m happy and proud of Gabriel.”
RACE TICKETS - CHINA
Don't miss your chance to experience the thrills of Shanghai and the first F1 Sprint of the season...
DISCOVER MORE...
IT'S RACE WEEK: 5 storylines we're excited about ahead of the 2025 Chinese Grand Prix
POWER RANKINGS: Who tops our first leaderboard of the season after a wet and wild Australian GP?
TECH WEEKLY: Has McLaren’s secret weapon for the 2025 season been revealed?
Who to watch out for from the 2025 F1 ACADEMY grid as the series returns in China
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
News Brown hails ‘unbelievable’ Norris drive and ‘perfect’ McLaren strategy after season-opening victory in Australia
Feature Dramatic collisions, shock winners and drivers on strike – 8 of the most chaotic season openers in F1 history
News Verstappen admits Chinese GP weekend poses ‘a lot of unknowns’ as he assesses whether Red Bull can challenge McLaren
News Tsunoda feels Racing Bulls ‘deserved points’ in Australia as team admit late-race strategy call ‘cost us very dearly’
